Sunday, January 18, 2009

BEAUTY TREATMENT

It was certainly a beautiful day out. The weatherman said it would be very warm and sunny. The temperature was already 80 and we had the windows open.There was air conditioning but we only used it if it got humid or 90.
This was the day Betty came to do hair. Everyone got their hair washed and cut if they wanted. It always made the folks happy to see her. Betty was a very compassionate person. She never hurried and wanted everyone happy with their hair. Sometimes it got very interesting because most of the folks could not bend over the sink. To make up for this Betty put a plastic cape over their clothes and the water would run into a large container. His seemed fine but we always had one person who would be soaked and deceide they had to go pee. It never failed but we managed.
Betty had been there about two hours when we heard the emergency whistle blow. I didn’t think much of it because all my people were ok. Then the whistle blew again. All of a sudden Betty came rushing downstairs and said, “I have to go because I am sure it is my house”. She was out the door and gone in less than a minute. I could not imagine what was wrong and I got a terrible feeling. Kate, she had worked for me for a long time, helped me finish everyone. I was so glad to have her there working that day. Kate was the type who could walk in and pick up anything that was going on. I always called her my right hand.
We found out later it was Betty’s husband who had died in the fire. It was very devastating to all of us. The folks were upset and it took a few weeks to get recovered.
You always had to be ready for any unexpected things. It could be funny or sad but the main thing was to be ready with some kind of an answer. I think this is where the term “wing it” came it.
If I had one of the people ask me when they were going home I always said, “Tomorrow you can go.” I used this line more than any other.
I will leave you, gentle reader, with one thought: how many goals have you reached in your life? Do you remember how worried you were over something a year ago? Did it really matter? Think how much time and energy yiou spend on little things and put them behind you. You will feel better and I think you will probably smile more.
Love, Red


No comments: